Happy New Year to all my brothers and their families! I wish you peace, joy and good health this coming year! It’s that time of year when we make resolutions. Have you made any yet? Maybe the realistic question is, “Have you already broken some of them?
Here are 10 popular New Year’s resolutions from the internet along with some of my own:
1. Get in shape; for some of us this means to lose some weight, exercise more and staying fit; to stop smoking or eat healthier foods.
2. Stop procrastinating; I don’t know about you, but I’m going to put this off for another year!
3. Improve my prayer life; there’s an app for that! The Laudate app claims it is the most downloaded Catholic app. It has an immense library of prayers, devotions, daily readings, podcasts and Vatican documents.
4. Improve on a skill or develop a new hobby; maybe you want to lower your golf handicap or learn to bowl. Go for it!
5. Be more thankful; God has blessed me in so many ways and sometimes I forget to thank Him for all of those things…usually because I’m too busy asking for something else.
6. Spend more time with the people that matter most; sometimes I get so busy working, keeping the house up or going to some meeting, I forget the ones I do these things for. I’ve got to set aside more time to just be with them.
7. Reduce stress; in this sometimes hectic and seemingly crazy world, it’s easy to get swallowed up in the latest tragedy and worry all the time. Cutting out those sources of stress or learning how to deal with them more effectively means a more settled life.
8. Read more; with so much on the internet, TV and radio it’s easy for me to get lost in those. Reading for pleasure has become something of a lost art.
9. Spend wisely; it’s so easy to spend money on things we really don’t need, buy on a whim or because we’re keeping up with the Joneses.
10. Review your current financial situation; it’s always smart to take stock on a yearly basis.
Now this last resolution I can definitely help you keep. My resolution is to contact each of you this year to check in and if appropriate, set up a time to meet. We can update your information and see where you stand. Your financial health is critical to your family’s future security. We’ll take a look at your goals and aspirations and help make sure you’re on track to reach them.